Saturday, January 7, 2012

Nest Box Construction

 In my humble workshop the plans were drawn up and construction began over the Christmas Holiday 2011. Many thanks to Nate Skinner,  Matt Denton, and Donald Brightsmith who all provided valuable information to steer me in the right direction.
 The design is a combination of advise from others, and my desire for a functional product. Each box has a side door for inspection on or cleaning. The sides are both nailed and screwed . Inside of each box are footholds  to make entry and exit easier, although the way I see them hanging upside down on all kind of things I would not think climbing is a problem!
 I opted to try two sizes to start 10in x 10in x 36in ...and one 8in x 8in x 36in. The  entrance hole is 3 inches....."just right"??... We will see!
 I reinforced the bottoms using much thicker 3/4 inch wood. It seen all that in all the old nest boxes I have  seen, the first thing to go is the bottom. Each corner is trimmed to allow drainage. The sides are made from 1/2 in plywood. The top extension for hanging has  a cedar board front and back to help hold the bigger box.
A base coat of grey to seal the wood has been applied and I am going to try and mimic the rings on a palm tree with darker paint.

No comments:

Post a Comment